Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hostel, Saw, and Snuff

I've never been a big fan of horror movies. Mostly because I know things that most people seem to be ignorant of. I know that a burn victim can't attack and kill me in my dreams. I also know that if said villain did kill me in a dream, I wouldn't really die. I know that a Rubik cube can't open a gate to hell. I know that no matter how hard some dorky goth duesche wishes, vampires will remain factitious. These are all, for lack of a better term, classic horror movies. But there has been a growing trend in scary movies as of late. These are the single-word titled flicks like Saw and Hostel.

These movies are very simple. Take some actors put them in a room and kill them, preferably in an elaborate manner that will cause a lot of pain and/or blood loss. For example, I wrote such a script, its' called Pretzel. It's about a yoga instructor who goes crazy and forces her clients into a contraption. The contraption twists the limbs (and, in the case of her male clients, the penis) into gruesome, knotty configurations, every time they lie about a missed yoga class it bends another limb braking it, until finally it breaks their neck.. The tag line is "Don't get bent out of shape."

Let me assure you that I am not a hypocrite. I'm not doing this for artistic achievement. I realize Pretzel will make a stupid trashy movie. No, I'm doing it for the money. See that's why Hollywood makes these movies like saw and final destination, because people, especially young women, like to be scared. It makes for good banging.

Here's my problem; these movies aren't scary. They're just gross. Fear is caused by the anticipation of something bad. Take Silence of the Lambs, remember at the end when Starling is wandering in the dark and Buffalo Bill is stalking her with the night vision goggles. And she's reaching around and you think shes about to get it, but then she shoots him...if you haven't seen Silence of the Lambs your probably shouldn't have read that. Regardless it's scary because, your waiting for the kill. These new horror movies don't really do that they just show an incredible brutal and gross death. They're like snuff movies in that way and if you like these movies you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment