Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Every time you read my Blog an Angel Gets it's Wings

With Christmas approaching, I thought it's time to talk about a Christmas movie. And not just any Christmas movie, I want to talk about the reigning king of Christmas movies, It's Wonderful Life. Since almost everybody in America has seen it, my synopsis will be short and to those of you who haven't seen this movie, what he fuck, were you raised by wolves?

It's a Wonderful Life follows the life of George Baley. He is a man with great ambitions and big plans for his life, which he gives up one at a time to to help the people around him. He gets discouraged and wishes he was never born. A blundering angel by the name of Clarence arrives and shows George how horrible his world is without him.

George Baley demanding a bigger trunk in which to keep his monstrous penis

People are so touched by this story that they have blinders for it. To say something negative about it's A Wonderful Life is tantamount to rape. But the movie does have its flaws.

The big problem I have with this movie is that it continues racial stereotypes that pervade our society. Say what you will about Jimmy Stewart. I'm the first to admit he is a great actor and his portrayal of George Baley is one of the great things about It's a Wonderful Life. While he may be one of the greatest actors to every step in front of the camera, he is undoubtedly among the worst dancers. I blame Jimmy Stewart's Charleston for starting the racial myth that white people can't dance. Many people love the dance scene. I don't. I just feel bad for me and my people.Here Jimmy Stewart gives birth to the myth that white people can't dance, while trying to seduce a girl who is clearly laughing at him. Spoiler Alert!: He doesn't hit that

I'm not alone in my opinion of It's A wonderful Life. When this movie came out the critics didn't receive it well. The director of this movie, Francis Capra, released several feel good movies like it. I guess there really can be too much of a good thing, because critics started calling his heart warming tales, Capra-corn. Yeah, they had a rapiers wit back in the forties. Those critics did have a point though, this movie is corny at times. But It's A Wonderful Life has aged well and what a minority of viewers see as corny most see as the innocence of a simpler time. For example, while still a boy George discovers that , in his grief his boss, the town druggist (note: that's not to be confused for one who worships drugs, back then the pharmacist was known as a druggist), has accidentally loaded a sick boys medicine with poison. Baley, knowing something must be done, seeks his fathers wisdom. As if we're to believe his father is an expert in pharmacology. He should have gone to the FDA. Regardless of their misery, no man should mistake poison for antibiotics. What was he doing with poison anyway. Who goes to the pharmacist for poison?

Another corny thing about this movie is the climax. George gets to see his hometown and the people in his life if he was never born. And it's the fate of his wife, who we are shown without George becomes a librarian, that chills him the most. Really George? Your most upset because without you your wife turns out to be a librarian? It's not the fact that his old boss the pharmacist becomes a drunkard, or that his Uncle is institutionalized, or that his baby brother is dead, or that the entire town is a cesspool of poverty. No his wife dons bookish glasses and he's learned what hell has befallen the people around him and he declares he wants to live.
Without him, George's wife suffers the worst fate: Glasses.

Look I'm no Scrooge, I just don't get all misty eyed because some guy didn't get the life he wanted. I mean he contemplates suicide because he's in some fiscal trouble and none of his dreams ever came true. Join the fucking club. You think this is what I wanted to do with my life...Blog? When I was a kid I dreamed I would be the divine ruler of North America. Maybe that's whats so great about It's A Wonderful Life. Most people's dreams don't come true and it would be easy to be discouraged by that. George Baley reminds us that if we measured life by what we give rather than what we get, it really is a wonderful life.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment